All-natural, organic, gluten-free, no-added sugar [until you add the alcohol]
Prep Time: Varies depending on how long you want to steep the fruit and mint – and how adept you are with a knife
Note: You can make this as “Skinny” or as caloric as you want based on the amount of added sugar and alcohol.
- 4 quart pitcher
- 4 limes, peel on, sliced
- 4 lemons, peel on, sliced
- 4 liters of carbonated water [ I use Italian Sparkling water from Whole Foods © ]
- 2 cups of filtered water
- 2 oz fresh mint leaves
- Alcohol of your choice. **optional** Favorites include Tito’s Vodka, White Rum, and for a crazy twist, try with a Prosecco/Brut Champagne of choice
- Sugar or sugar alternative [I sometimes use a pinch of STEVIA ©, to taste]
- Large serving pitcher or bowl. One very large cup will also do – or so I hear.
- Pour the 2 cups filtered water in to the pitcher along with half of the desired about alcohol of your choice
- Combine 1 oz mint, and all the fresh lemon and lime slices into the 2 cups of water + alcohol mixture
- Cover with plastic lid and place in fridge overnight.
- Remove pitcher from fridge
- Use a heavy handled spoon to stir contents as you pour in the carbonated water and remainder of desired alcohol.
- NOTE: Wait until a few minutes before serving to pour in the carbonated water [if you put it in too soon it will be flat and change the taste in a not so great way. If this happens, simply add more alcohol. Or discard completely. But remember, there are starving children in the world and that was Italian water. Waste not, want not.
- Pour into a large cup with ice and top with the remaining 1 oz fresh mint [as some of the mint may have turned brown overnight due to oxygenation]